Out & About is a weekly listing of places to go and things to do in Pike and Wayne counties and the surrounding areas. It appears in each edition of The News Eagle and in The Pike Penny$aver. If you have an event or activity that you would like us to include in Out & About you can send it to Debra Chris Renn by phone, 570-226-4547/570-296-4547, ext. 108; fax, 570-226-4548 or 570-296-4548; e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, April 30
• Free Nature Program “An Early Morning Bird and Wildlife Walk at Tobyhanna State Park, SR 423. Meet at the parking lot by the dam, off SR 423. Bring binoculars.
• Designing Kitchens and Fireplaces For any budget from basic To elaborate designs workshop, 9 am at the Pike County Builders Association Office, 209 East Harford Street, Milford. 570-296-5589 email@example.com.
• Beyond the Honey Bee: Pennsylvania’s Native Bees Program at Lacawac Sanctuary, Lake Ariel, 7 - 8:30 pm. Cost is $3 for Lacawac members and $5 non-member. No charge for children under 12. For information call 570-689-9494 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Lords Valley Rotary meeting, Laurel Ridge Restaurant, SR 739, 6 pm. Speaker: Trish Davis, ARC Wayne/Pike Chapter.
Thursday, May 1
• Ascension Day service and reception, 7 pm, at Christ Episcopal Church, Route 6, Indian Orchard. Call 253-9510 or 253-2237 for more information.
Friday, May 2
• Hawley First Friday — Activities include something for everyone from art gallery wine and cheese receptions to a classic car show. Visitors can also enjoy raffles, live music, and new for 2008, a food sampling dubbed “A Taste of Hawley.”
• Coasters Car Club NEPA presents Cruisen Hawley, Keystone Street, Hawley, from 6 - 9 pm.
Saturday, May 3
• Saturday Night Special Bingo, Texas #4 Fire Company, Grove St., Honesdale. Doors open at 5 pm. Early bird Bingo 6:30 pm. Pre-admission tickets $25 - $30 at door. Call 570-253-0782 for tickets or more information.
• Spring Rummage and Bake Sale, 9 am to 12 noon at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 7th and Church streets, Honesdale. Bag Sale from 12:30 noon to 2 pm.
• Beautification Day, 8 am to 12 noon at the Delaware Twp. Building, Wilson Road. Coffee, donates, road assistance, then lunch.
• Spring Library Book and Bake Sale, 9 am to 4 pm at the American Legion Post, Water St., Milford. Special preview $10 from 8 am to 9 am. For more information call Ken at 570-409-9089.
• All You Can Eat "Ham and Turkey Dinner" at the Pine Mill Community Hall, Pine Mill. Dinner serving from 4 - 7 pm. Adults are $9, children 6-12 are $4 and children under 6 are free. Call 570-224-4876 for information or directions.
Sunday, May 4
• Third Annual Delaware River Antique Fair, 10 am to 5 pm, Front Street, Port Jervis, NY. Rain or shine. Call 845-856-2727 or 845-858-2810.
• Victorian Tea and Chinese Auction, 1 pm at the Wallenpaupack South Elementary School, Newfoundland. Gifts and refreshments available. Admission is $7 per person and $3 for children under the age of 12.
• Spaghetti Dinner, Ladore Lodge, Waymart. Two seatings: 2 to 5 pm and 6 to 9 pm. $25 per adult, $10 per child. To benefit Hannah Marold Leukemia Fund. Call 253-1079 or 390-9325 for tickets or more information.
• Poker Run, Band Bash-BBQ, at the Shohola Firehouse, Shohola. $20 for Poker Run and $15 for Band Bash/BBQ - $30 for both. Proceeds to DVHS Scholarship Fund and Campaign Sight First II. Poker Run sign-in 10 am, begin at 11 am. Band Bash and BBQ from 1 pm to 5 pm.
• Special Memorial Service at the Pine Mill Methodist Church, Pine Mill Road in Lookout, 12 noon. Featuring worship, candle lighting and special music. Luncheon will follow. Call 570-224-6536 for information.
• The Catholic Diocese of Scranton invite couples celebrating their 25th or 50th wedding anniversary in 2008 to a Wedding Anniversary Celebration, 2:30 pm Mass at St. Peter Cathedral followed by a reception. To receive an invitation, eligible couples should give their names and a mailing address to their pastor.
• “First Sundays” Art Program, Milford Borough Hall, 109 W.Catharine Street at 1:30 pm promptly, and is open to members, and their guests.
• Second Annual Wayne Memorial Hospital Fund Raiser Hike, lower hiking trails at Prompton Dam, Prompton at 1 pm. Free refreshments at the end of the hike. To pre-register, call Mike at 282-1050, Donna at 253-8990, or the VFW post at 253-5373.
• The Young Geezers Concert, 3 pm, at the Lacawac Sanctuary, Lake Ariel. The cost of the program is $5 for Lacawac members and $8 for non-member. There is no charge for children under 12. For information call 570-689-9494 or e-mail email@example.com.
Monday, May 5
• Old Exit 11 Jazz Festival, 6 pm, at the Delaware Valley High School auditorium, Milford. For more information call 570-296-1800, ext. 7161.
• Meeting of the Greene-Dreher Historical Society, 1 pm at the WSCS Hall, South Sterling. Refreshments will be served. Speaker: Don Coutts.
Tuesday, May 6
• Bereavement Support Group, Pocono Lutheran Village, 329 East Brown Street, East Stroudsburg from 1 to 2:30 pm. Free.
Wednesday, May 7
• Free Nature Program “An Early Morning Bird and Wildlife Walk at Tobyhanna State Park, SR. 423. Meet at the parking lot by the dam, off SR. 423. Bring binoculars.
• Bereavement Support Group, Belle Reve Care Center, 404 East Harford Street, Milford, from 1 to 2:30 pm. Free.
Thursday, May 8
• Rummage Sale Evening Special, 5 pm to 8 pm, at the Drew United Methodist Church, 49 Sussex St., Port Jervis, NY.
• Waymart Legion Post 889 Meeting, 7 pm, at the Post Home, Water St., Waymart. Nominations are due for officers.
Friday, May 9
• Old Time Fiddles Annual Spring Performance at the Unity Grange, Galilee, 8 pm, $5. Refreshments served at intermission. Door prizes & 50/50. For more information call 224-4059.
• Rummage Sale, 9 am to 3 pm, at the Drew United Methodist Church, 49 Sussex St., Port Jervis, NY.
• Golf-A-Thon, 7:30 am to 2:30 pm, Port Jervis Country Club, 87 Neversink Drive, Port Jervis, NY. Fundraiser for Tri States Young Life. Call 570-491-5522.
Saturday, May 10
• Rummage Sale - Bag Day, 9 am to11 am, at the Drew United Methodist Church, 49 Sussex St., Port Jervis, NY.
• Open House, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Old Salem Pike, Dyberry Twp. Light refreshments to be served. Call 570-499-4015 for more information.
• Country Jamboree, 2 pm, Indian Head Camp, SR. 191, Equinunk. Live entertainment, dancing, food, beverages, Chinese Auction, children’s games, Penny Social, and face painting. Admission is $5, children under 12 years of age are free. All proceeds benefit Children’s Miracle Network Telehon.
• Pork & Sauerkraut Dinner, 6 pm, First Presbyterian Church, Hawley. Advance tickets only - call 226-4835. Cost is $8 for adults, $4 children three to ten, and free for children two and younger.
• Benefit Chicken BBQ, Hamlin Fire and Rescue Bingo Hall, 3 pm to 7 pm. $8 per dinner. To benefit firefighter Darryl Hollister. Take-outs will be available.
Sunday, May 11
• Mother’s Day/Confirmation Lunch, 11:30 am to 1 pm, Hawley United Methodist Church’s Great Hall. Donations. Call 226-3875 for more information.