A grease fire at the Wendy’s in Texas Township Monday morning sent two employees to the hospital with smoke inhalation. White Mills Fire Chief Kenny Batzel says they were toned out around 10:15 a.m.


A grease fire at the Wendy’s in Texas Township Monday morning sent two employees to the hospital with smoke inhalation. White Mills Fire Chief Kenny Batzel says they were toned out around 10:15 a.m.
A pressure cooker in the kitchen area caught fire and melted the electrical wire leading to the appliance as well as the outer coating of the gas line, the chief said.
Batzel says he and Asst. Chief Bill Franklin, Beach Lake Fire Company, used two fire extinguishers to put the blaze out.
“According to one of the employees, they were taking their first order when they smelled smoke or saw smoke,” the chief said. “They activated the Ansul system and then they got out of the building.” Batzel says the restaurant’s Ansul fire suppression system, a dry chemical system found above the appliances, “kicked in and did its job. It kept the fire at bay until we got there.”
The system also shut down the gas, he said. “All of the safety mechanisms worked.”
The two injured employees were transported to Wayne Memorial Hospital by White Mills Fire Department Ambulance.
Approximately 20 firefighters responded to the blaze.