Managing Editor
In light of the Sept. 7th assault and burglaries on Hudson Street, Hawley Police Chief Daniel Drake has asked the public to be prudent and exercise normal caution, while realizing this was an unusual and isolated incident. “We have received several calls since the incident on Hudson Street wondering what can be done to protect your homes,” Drake said in a statement issued to The News Eagle. “Our concern is for the safety of the residents and visitors of Hawley Borough and surrounding areas.” Hawley Police Department has added extra patrols and the Neighborhood Crime Watch program will be started again. He said that Crime Watch meetings will be announced, and everyone will be invited. Chief Drake advised that a way to protect yourself and your home is to install outside lighting which will activate by movement, install or have installed a dead bolt lock system, or even an alarm system. Your local hardware store, lock smith or alarm company can help you to make your home more secure, he noted. “Also if you and your neighbors watch out for each other and report any suspicious activity to the police,” the Chief said. Hawley Police Department may be contacted at (570)226-4868. In an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Hudson Street incident
the incident on Hudson Street occurred in the early morning of Friday Sept. 7. After breaking in two homes and jumping from a second floor window of an unoccupied house, injuring himself, the suspect approached two women out for a walk near the park. The suspect, identified as Richard F. Cimino Jr., was naked at the time and bloody from his injuries. He is accused of attacking one of the women and gnawing on her head. The two women fended him off, and fled to a house to call police. This was at about 6:30 a.m. State Police arrived, and subdued the man with a tazer. Cimino, age 20, of Doylestown, Pa., was taken to Community Medical Center for treatment and observation. On Sept. 16 he was arraigned on charges of Aggravated Assault, Burglary, Indecent Assault and Criminal Mischief. He was later released from jail after $100,000 bail had been posted. Cimino is to appear for a Central Court hearing Sept. 29 to determine if the case will proceed to a preliminary hearing on the charges, or if the hearing will be waived. While widely rumored that the suspect was on bath salts at the time of the incident, the results of the toxicology examination at the hospital have not yet been released.