Central United Methodist Church, Honesdale, in connection with the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR), is collecting "flood buckets" to aid in the cleanup of areas in New York and New Jersey that were hit by Hurricane Sandy.
Mission Central in Mechanicsburg, a hub of UMCOR, has sent thousands of these buckets to areas in need. The supply is very low and many more are needed.
Specific items are needed for flood buckets. Anyone who would like to donate one or more is asked to closely follow the following list:
• Five-gallon bucket with resealable lid - Buckets from fast food restaurants or bakeries can be used if washed and cleaned. Do not use buckets that have stored chemicals such as paint or pool cleaner.
Advertisements on the outside are acceptable. Orange Home Depot buckets with lids are ideal..
• Liquid laundry detergent (two 25-ounce bottles or one 50-ounce bottle only)
• Liquid household cleaner (12 to 16-ounce liquid cleaner that can be mixed with water; no spray cleaners)
• Dish soap (16 to 28-ounce bottle any brand)
• One air freshener (aerosol or pump)
• One insect repellent spray (six to 14-ounce aerosol or spray pump with protective cover)
• One scrub brush (no toilet bowl brushes, plastic or wooden handle, no kitchen or dish brushes)
• Cleaning wipes (18 Handi-wipes or reusable wipes, remove from packaging; no terry cleaning towels)
• Seven sponges (remove from wrapper; no cellulose sponges due to mold issue)
• Five scouring pads (remove from wrappers; no Brillo, SOS pads or any kind that will rust)
• Fifty clothespins (remove from packaging)
• Clothesline (two 50-foot or one 100-foot cotton or plastic)
• 24 heavy-duty trash bags (30- to 45-gallon size; remove from box)
• Five dust masks
• Disposable waterproof gloves (two pair rubber or latex Playtex kitchen gloves; remove from package)
• Work gloves (one pair cotton or leather; must have leather palms)
Flood buckets can be dropped off at Central United Methodist Church, 11thand Church streets, Honesdale, on Sunday, Nov. 18, from 8 a.m. to noon; Monday through Wednesday, Nov. 19 to 21, 7 a.m. To noon, and Sunday, Nov. 25, 8 a.m. To noon. Alternate drop-off times can be arranged by calling the numbers below.
For further information, call Sue at (570)448-2429 or Betty at 448-2349.