UPPER DELAWAREAward nominees sought for enhancing Upper Delaware values
News Eagle - Hawley, PA
Posted Mar. 14, 2013 @ 4:10 pm
Posted Mar. 14, 2013 @ 4:10 pm
» Social News
The Upper Delaware Council, Inc. (UDC) is accepting public nominations until March 15 for its 25th Annual Awards Ceremony on April 28 at The Inn at Lackawaxen in Lackawaxen.
The awards are meant to highlight and honor the contributions that individuals, organizations, communities and government agencies have made to the Upper Delaware River region, said UDC Executive Director Laurie Ramie. The UDC, she said would like the entire river community to be involved in the nomination process, especially since the UDC is now celebrating its 25th anniversary as a non-profit organization.
There are nine award categories, in addition to the Oaken Gavel Award traditionally given by the Council to the past year’s chairperson. Nomination forms and a list of past award recipients are available at the UDC’s website at
www.upperdelawarecouncil.orgor on request.Nominations are sought for the following:
Distinguished Service Award
– Given to an individual who has acted with distinction in support of the goals and objectives of the River Management Plan for the Upper Delaware Scenic & Recreational River. This is the UDC’s highest honor.Robin M. Daniels Memorial Lifesaving Award
– Given to individual(s) who, through an act of personal heroism, saved the life of a person or persons in imminent peril in 2012.Community Service Award
– Given to the individual, community, sportsmen’s or conservation group, or other entity that took action in 2012 to protect the river corridor, or one or more of its valuable resources.Cultural Achievement Award
– Given to the organization or individual whose work promoted, enhanced, or interpreted the cultural resources of the Upper Delaware River Valley.Recreation Achievement Award
– Given to the organization that made an outstanding effort to educate river users about such subjects as water safety, conservation, litter control, river etiquette, and property rights.Outstanding Community Achievement Award
– Given to a municipality to recognize significant action in 2012 to protect the river corridor.Partnership Award
– Given to a government agency or regional entity instituting new programs or policies, or engaging in cooperative ventures, in support of the River Management Plan.Volunteer Award
– Given to the individual or organization who contributed time and energy in 2012 to enhance or protect the river corridor.Award(s) of Recognition
– Given to those individuals who have made substantial efforts to improve the quality of life and conserve the resources of the Upper Delaware River Valley.Nominations will be evaluated by a UDC subcommittee. This year’s honorees will be announced in late March.
The Sunday, April 28, ceremony will take place at The Inn at Lackawaxen, located at 188 Scenic Drive in Lackawaxen, PA. The public is welcome. Festivities will begin at 3 p.m. with an hors d’oeuvres and cash bar reception. A buffet dinner with nine entrees and dessert including a 25th anniversary cake will be served at 4 p.m. A keynote address and the presentation of awards will follow.
Tickets are $27 per person. Reservations with advance payment are required by April 19.
For more information on nominations and reservations, please contact the UDC at P.O. Box 192, 211 Bridge St., Narrowsburg, NY 12764, phone (845) 252-3022, fax (845) 252-3359, or e-mail