|
|
News Eagle - Hawley, PA
  •  Local History: Recalling Hawley’s Park View Hotel

    • email print
  •  By Peter BeckerManaging EditorHAWLEY- Numerous hotels have done business in Hawley, Pennsylvania. From the 1850 Eddy Hotel (Cora’s 1850 Bistro) to the Ledges Hotel opened in 2011, weary travelers have found lodging and at some establishments, people found room and board.This is a look at the Park View Hotel, a large and inviting place, yet one that stayed open less than 25 years.The Park View Hotel was wood frame, three stories high with a wrap-around ground level porch and a second floor porch in front. It overlooked what was once a borough park and had a fine view of the Lackawaxen River in back.You may have been by the spot countless times but would never know its existence. The Park View sat off the end of Church Street, near the corner with Welwood Avenue and the Eddy bridge spanning the Lackawaxen. The Eddy Hotel was a short distance away. Today, a flood control dike and flood plain occupies the site of the hotel. The park known at the time by the tenants at the Park View, has come full circle and is today a section of the larger Riverside Park established in the flood plain.German immigrantsThe Park View Hotel was owned and operated by Christian A. Lehmann and his wife Caroline, who were from Germany. Christian was born in September 1858 and immigrated to the United States in 1874. Caroline, born in Hamburg in June 1864, came to this country in 1880. Where and when they met has not been found, but they were married in 1886.They had at two children, daughters Helen L. born 1887, and Lena K. born 1892.It appears that Christian Lehmann first ran a wagon and black smith shop and built the hotel at the same location around the beginning of the 20th Century.Sanborn Fire Insurance maps for Hawley help us narrow down when and where the hotel stood.The 1885 does not show it. The Eddy Hotel is noted, and across the street at the Church Street corner with the bridge and what we know as Welwood Avenue, was the "Hawley Glass Company General Store." Just down Church Street across from the Eddy Hotel property was a small office and then a small blacksmith shop.Maps for 1982 and 1897 show instead of the little blacksmith shop, a larger frame building labeled Lehmann’s Wagon Shop. It is marked as having blacksmith and woodworking operations. The general store is at the corner facing up Welwood (which at this stage was known as Erie Avenue).The map for September 1903 renames the wagon shop as "Lehman’s Hotel" with a wrap-around porch. The porch as shown faced Church Street on the front and the side faced the general store and bridge. A saloon is indicated on the west end of the hotel.March 1912: The map labels the business as "Lehmanns Hotel or Park View Hotel." A porch is marked as 2-story on the front. The saloon is still there. In back is a small ice house, and another unmarked outbuilding 100 feet west. This was the hotel horse stables.The Erie railroad depot around the corner, at Paupack Street and Welwood (Erie) Avenue must have brought customers to both the Park View and Eddy hotels.Who lived thereThe family lived at the Park View and were listed there in the 1900 and 1910 census records. Both daughters were still single.Numerous people resided there, and the Census records tell us who.The 1900 Census lists, along with the Lehmanns, two servants, Agnes Sachs (age 19) and Lena Hausmann (age 16). William Walters was the hostler- a person who took care of the horses. He was 20 and from Germany.People boarding there were Samuel H. Kupp (age 55), who we suspect was his wife Henretta Kupp (age 53) and 15-year old Florence E. Kupp; R.A. Davis, age 24; Norman Kennedy, 20 and Arthur Ackerman, 21.We can imagine Florence and the servant Lena could have been friends, only a year apart in age. Agnes Sachs was of German descent.Residing at the Park View in 1910, in addition to the Lehmann family, were: William A. Wolfford, age 33; Charlotte A. Thompson, 69; LeRoy Sands, 31 and Ada E. Sands, 59.LeRoy, who was single at the time, was superintendent at the Hawley Glass Company, a major industry in Hawley located on what is today the Glass Row baseball field on the western end of Riverside Park, behind Barker Street.Fred W. Sands was bookkeeper at the factory and lived in one of the Crystal Street homes. This row of homes was built for the workers at the glass factory, and to its eventual peril, overlooked the Lackawaxen River in what is now the flood plain /Riverside Park.Crystal Street was parallel to Church Street and sandwiched between the factory and Park View Hotel.Mrs. Caroline Lehmann is listed as the proprietor of the hotel in the 1912 street directory, which also states she is a widow.Apparently her husband Christian died between 1910 and 1912.Married a boarderMrs. Lehmann still was operating the Park View Hotel in 1920. The Census lists her as age 56. At the same address are her daughter Helen, age 34 and single, and one of the boarders, a 34-year bachelor, by the name of Albert H. Lauderburn. Other boarders at this time included Oakley A. Killam, 40; EdmondWheaton, 24; Mae Killam, 38; John Frank, 24, who were also all single.Also staying there was Albert Wiegand, 35, who was married; Fred Sands, 47 and Gussie Sands, 47, both married.Helen Lehmann and the boarder Albert Lauderburn were married by the time of the listing in the 1925 Hawley directory. References to the hotel, however, seem to vanish.Editor's Note: Part 2, next week, will discuss what became of the hotel and its owners. Anyone with information to add is welcome to contact the editor at (570)226-4547, news@neagle.com.
      • calendar