By Peter Becker
LACKAWAXEN - A fire Saturday evening, Sunday May 25, wrecked a house in the Masthope Mountain Community. The people inside were reported to have escaped safely. Firefighters attempted to resuscitate a dog, but were not successful.
The blaze was reported at 8:36 p.m. at the corner of Upper Independence Drive and Firelight Lane. Central, Lackawaxen, Greeley and Forest Volunteer Fire Departments were dispatched with multiple apparatus, and a rescue unit from Dingman Township Fire Department was also called out.
Lackawaxen Ambulance and Hawley Ambulance were sent out.
They were called back to the scene at 5:52 a.m. Sunday.
Upon arrival of the firefighters, the fire was already well underway.
A retired FDNY Firefighter/Volunteer at Central Fire Department, Garry Pazmann, tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate the family's dog at the structure fire. Lackawaxen Firefighter and EMT Michael Donovan assisted with compressions. Two other firefighters were also assisting. One supplied CPR. They worked on the medium-sized dog for about 20 minutes. Pazmann stated that it apparently died of smoke inhalation.
Firefighters found the animal inside and was carried out.
Pazmann said he has been a volunteer with Central for three years and worked over 28 years with New York Fire Department, and 14 years prior to that with Lynbrook Fire Department, Lynbrook, NY.
Rosemary A. Schuster, the photographer for Forest Volunteer Fire Department (Co. 81), said that the homeowner was very distraught over the whereabouts of his dog. Firefighters found the dog on the second floor and carried it out.
In releasing the photograph, Schuster said she wanted everyone to know of the compassion of these emergency responders.