Alfred C. Butler, 83, of Greentown, PA passed away Monday, May 27, 2013 in Community Medical Center in Scranton, PA.
Born June 14, 1929 in Chester, PA he was the son of the late Martin and Beulah (Starner) Butler.
He and his wife, Ella May (Riddle) Butler, were married March 27, 1954. He was an engineering supervisor with Bell & Howell before his retirement in 1991. He served in the Army at Fort Knox. Al was a 1947 graduate of Phillipsburg High School and attended Penn State University. He was an avid golfer and bowler, hunter, fisherman and enjoyed camping. He was also a wonderful amateur photographer. He was a baseball coach for 15 years for Pohatcong Township, where he started the program. He played for the Tri-County Baseball League years ago. He was a Green Bay Packers fan, loved Penn State, the New York Yankees, Phillipsburg Stateliners and the Wallenpaupack Buckhorns. He loved his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Al was a member of Promised Land Community Church and a former member of St. James Lutheran Church. He was past President of Huntington Volunteer Fire Company where he also previously served as the Fire Police Chief; a member of West Easton Fire Company; Wallenpaupack Buckhorn Football Booster Club and a member of the Quarter Century Club at Bell & Howell. He was also a former member of Order of Fleas in Easton.
In addition to his loving wife, Ella May, he is survived by two sons, Michael and wife, Virginia, of Allentown and William and wife, Diane, of Middletown, NY; daughter, Myrna Vogel and husband, Terry, of Kannapolis, NC; two brothers, Myron "Bubby" and wife, Wilma, of Pohatcong Township and Millard and wife, Barbara, of Lopatcong Township; a sister, Myrna Pursell and husband, Leo, of Forks Township, PA; 10 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Funeral services and interment were held earlier under the direction of the Doyle-Devlin Funeral Home, Inc. in Phillipsburg, NJ. Online condolences may be offered at www.devlinfh.com.
Memorials may be made to Promised Land Fire & Ambulance Company, RR 390, Greentown, PA 18426.