This list is based on what has been received recently for the Spring 2013 at The News Eagle; a few are from the winter. Families are welcome to send a more complete story and picture to email@example.com.
These local students graduated on May 25from Hartwick College in Oneonta, NY.
• Kelsey Kimble of Dingmans Ferry, daughter of Diane and Eugene Kimble; majored in nursing.
• Kenneth Kleso of Milford, son of Donna and Kenneth Kleso; majored in biology.
• David L. Swinehart received a Master of Music in Music Education.
Erika Mall, of Hawley received her diploma from Susquehanna University in Selingsgrove, PA on May 12.
Mall graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology with a minor in Spanish. She is the daughter of Werner and Christine Mall and a graduate of Wallenpaupack Area High School.
Mall's activities at Susquehanna included Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity and SU Republicans. She was also a Study Abroad intern and a Resident Assistant. She served as Secretary, Fundraising Coordinator, Coxswain Coordinator and Workout Coordinator for the SU Crew Team. Mall also belonged to the Phi Sigma Iota foreign language honor society and the Beta Beta Beta science honor society. She was a recipient of an academic scholarship and on Dean's List all four years. Following graduation, Mall plans to attend West Virginia University for a master's program in higher education administration. She hopes to work in a study abroad office on a college campus and help instate a cross-cultural requirement like Susquehanna's.
Keystone College in La Plume, PA celebrated its 142nd commencement during ceremonies on the college's campus in La Plume on Saturday, May 18. Degrees were conferred upon 315 students. There were two graduates from Hawley: Colten James Laabs, who received an Associate in Applied Science and Shane A. Neary, who was awarded a Bachelor of Arts.
University of the Sciences
The following local residents graduated from University of the Sciences. USciences recognized graduates during a ceremony on Wednesday, May 22 in Philadelphia.
• Georgiy Polyak of Dingmans Ferry graduated with a doctor of pharmacy degree . He was a member of Alpha Lambda Delta honor society. He was a member of the American Pharmacists Association, co-captain of the cross country team, a National Kidney Foundation KEEP volunteer, and Political Connection vice president. He is the son of Aleksandr and Irina Makhnin.
• Brianna Elyse Demchak of Pleasant Mount graduated with a bachelor of science in microbiology degree. She was a member of the Alpha Sigma Tau national sorority and AMSA, was public relations chairman of The Timmy Foundation, and volunteered at the VA Hospital. She is the daughter of Lisa and Brian Demchak.
Page 2 of 5 - Misericordia University
Gina Marie Raniero of Milford graduated from Misericordia University in Dallas, Pa., May 18, 2013. She received a BS in Elementary Education and a BS in Special Education.
Some 746 doctoral, master's and bachelor's degrees were awarded as Wilkes University for the first time held separate commencement ceremonies for graduate and undergraduate students on May 18, 2013. Those from the local area are:
• Joseph Harsch of Dingmans Ferry received the Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminology.
• Brendon Myer of Milford received the Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science.
Heather Ramberger of Shohola, PA, (18458) received the Bachelor of Business Admin. degree in Management.
• Brandon Scott of Hawley received the Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications.
• Kyle Wolfe of Bushkill received the Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications.
• Andrew Grandinetti of Honesdale received the Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications.
• Heather Puhalla of Lake Ariel received the Master of Science degree in Education.
Clarion University of Pennsylvania
• Ali Trainor, Hawley, earned a Sec Ed, Social Studies BSE degree.
• Brian Murtaugh, Honesdale, earned a Communication: Journalism BS degree.
• Catherine Strazzeri, Lake Ariel, earned a Library Science BSE degree.
James O'Connor was awarded a bachelor of arts degree from Connecticut College in New London at the 95th commencement ceremony on May 19. O'Connor, who is from Milford, PA, majored in computer science.
Saint Vincent College
Two students from the area, Jovaughn Aaron Johnson of Hawley and Nicholas Bernard Porzucek of Palmyra graduated from Saint Vincent College, Latrobe, PA on May 11. Johnson graduated with a B.S. In Marketing and Porzucek graduate with a B.A. In Communication.
Dover Business College
The following local students graduated from Dover Business College, Dover, NJ, May 11th.
• Carolina P. Soni of Bushkill, Multi-Level Patient Care Technician
• Tammy Wilson of Matamoras, Surgical Technologist.
Michael Schuster of Milford, PA, received a Bachelor of Arts degree in History/Adolescence Education from Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY, the weekend of May 24.
College of Wooster
A graduate of Wallenpaupack Area High School, Alexandra Beard recently graduated from the College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio, with a degree in anthropology. Beard has also been inducted into Phi BetaKappa, the nation's oldest undergraduate honor society.
Damien Greiner from Beach Lake graduated May 4 at Malone University in Canton, Ohio. He received a BA degree in Zoo and Wildlife Biology.
Millersville University of Pennsylvania
The following area residents were among the 1,110 students who graduated from Millersville University of Pennsylvania during the spring 2013 undergraduate commencement ceremony held on Saturday, May 18.
Page 3 of 5 - • Brad Morrison, of Milford graduated earning a BA degree in Music.
• Lauren Janusewski, of Paupack graduated earning a BA degree in Social Work.
York College of Pennsylvania
On May 18, 2013, nearly 700 students received their degrees from York College of Pennsylvania. Among them were:
• Adrian Sirko of Matamoras, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Behavioral Science
• Korri Struble of Hawley, Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Management.
Pennsylvania College of Technology
The Spring 2013 Dean's List and Graduates have been announced at Pennsylvania College of Technology, Williamsport, Pa., a special mission affiliate of The Pennsylvania State University. Among them were:
• Cassiopeia M. Arrigo, Greentown, Associate of Applied Science, Physical Fitness Specialist
• Michael J. Jahn, Lackawaxen, Bachelor of Science, Building Science and Sustainable Design, Cum Laude
• Michelle C. Markardt, Hawley, Associate of Applied Science, Early Childhood Education
• Shepard J. Wood, Newfoundland, Associate of Applied Science, Building Construction Technology, Honors
• Andrew J. Campise, Waymart, Associate of Applied Science, Electrical Technology
• Ethan D. Chapka, Beach Lake, Associate of Applied Science, Welding Technology
• Phyl W. Collins Jr., Honesdale, Associate of Applied Science, Heavy Construction Equipment Technology: Operator Emphasis
• Eric J. Morris, Lakeville, Bachelor of Science, Building Automation Technology, Magna Cum Laude.
University of Vermont
Some 2,557 students were awarded a variety of bachelor's degrees during the University of Vermont's 211th Commencement ceremonies on May 19. Among them were:
• Daniel P. Leonard of Equinunk received a BSBA in Business Administration.
• Noelle Schariest of Hawley received a BS in Animal Sciences.
•Kieran E. Ficken of Shohola received a BS Cum Laude in Environmental Studies.
Eastern Mennonite Seminary
Joshua Yorks was recognized as a member of the 2013 graduating class of Eastern Mennonite Seminary in Harrisonburg, Va., on Saturday, April 27. Yorks graduated with a master's of divinity. He is a resident of Waymart.
Bob Jones University
More than 800 students graduated from Bob Jones University, Greenville, SC, during the 86th commencement exercises recently held in Founder's Memorial Amphitorium on the campus. Among them were Brian Bates of Honesdale and Eliza VanDeLinde of Milanville.
University of Kansas
• Kaleb Weaver, of Gouldsboro. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish & Business minor & Latin Americanr & Caribbean Studies minor.
Rochester Institute of Technology
• Kevin Alderfer of Greentown graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology with a Bachelor of Science degree in computer engineering from RIT's Kate Gleason College of Engineering in the winter 2012-13 quarter.
• Alyssa Tomaskovic of Milford is a January 2013 graduate of Lycoming College. Tomaskovic graduated with a BS degree in ecology.
Page 4 of 5 - DeSales University
The following area resident graduated from DeSales University on May 18, 2013:
• Amber J. Collins of Honesdale, graduated with a bachelor of science degree in biology.
The following local residents were among 166 students from Ithaca College who received degrees during the College's commencement ceremony held in December 2012.
• Kurt Merrill, son of Everett Merrill and Yvonne Merrill of Milford, graduated with a major in Drama from the college's School of Humanities and Sciences.
• Richard Aponte, son of and Betty Aponte of Bushkill, graduated with a major in Health Ed. and Physical Ed. from the college's School of Health Sciences and Human Performance.
Delaware Valley College
Dr. Bashar Hanna, vice president for academic affairs and dean of the faculty at Delaware Valley College, announced that the following students are among the college's list of December graduates:
• Victoria Ciancitto of Milford.
• Ashley Varley of Milford.
Dario A. Cortes, PhD, President of Berkeley College, has announced that Joseph Fiumano of Matamoras in Pike County, recently received a Bachelor of Science in Management – Human Resources Management from Berkeley College. Mr. Fiumano received his degree through Berkeley College Online.
Jaclyn M. Leece, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael and Gina Leece of Paupack, received a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Psychology and Sociology/Pre-Law from Moravian College, Bethlehem, She is a graduate of Wallenpaupack Area High School.
The following local students graduated from Edinboro University of Pennsylvania on May 18.
• Serwaa B. Antwi of Bushkill, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
• Eric C. Turner of Equinunk, Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Arts and Applied Media Arts.
The following local students were among the 651 students to graduate from Messiah College in Grantham, Pa. on May 18 during the College's annual commencement.
• Dingmans Ferry resident Joshua Beers. Beers graduated magna cum laude with a degree in politics.
• Bushkill resident Rachel Miller. Miller graduated with a degree in music.
Delaware Valley College
• Aimee Aidala of Matamoras graduated from Delaware Valley College in May.
College of Wooster
• Alexandra Beard, a graduate of Wallenpaupack Area High School, received a bachelor of arts degree from The College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio, during commencement exercises on May 13.
While at Wooster, Beard was a member of the Quidditch team, the Women of Dene, and the League of Informed Voters. She was also a member of Lambda Alpha anthropology honor society. In addition, she received a Dean's Scholarship and was named to the Dean's List.
An anthropology major who graduated summa cum laude, Beard is a resident of Lake Ariel.
Page 5 of 5 - Northampton Community College
Northampton Community College in Bethelhem, Pa. held a commencement ceremony on May 23. The following graduates are from Wayne or Pike counties.
(AA – Associate in Arts; AS – Associate in Science; AAS – Associate in Applied Science; CERT – Certificate; SD – Specialized Diploma)
Francheska Brackins, AAS; Barbara Davis, AA; Jonathan Dillon, AAS; Kaitlyn Ela, SD; Digna Good, AAS Debra Mac Ewen, AA; Aixa Olivo, AAS; Michelle Sanford, SD; Michelle Thompson, SD
Emi Newport, AAS
Alexis Crown, SD
Lisa Wolf, SD
Andrew Mitchell, AA
Patti Pietryak, SD
Elysia Emmel, AAS
Christian Kennedy, AAS.