WHITE MILLS - Fall foliage, antiques and local history come together on Columbus Day weekend as White Mills opens the doors to several of the village’s historic attractions along the White Mills Community Trail. The Dorflinger Factory Cutting Shop hosts the 27the Annual Fall Foliage Antique Show and Sale from Friday through Sunday.
The Dorflinger Glass Museum and Museum Gift Shop will be open Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m.. The Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary will open three of its restored buildings for tours on Saturday, October 12 from noon to 3 p.m. There is an admission charge to enter the Antique Show, the Dorflinger Glass Museum and to tour the glassworker’s house. No admission is required to tour the other buildings.
The historic sites in the village include the restored 1867 Glassworker’s House, the Historic 1911 Fire House and the original canal Lock Tender’s House. The Dorflinger Glass Museum is located on the grounds of the Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary at the top of the Elizabeth Street hill.
. Renowned glass maker Christian Dorflinger recruited seven highly skilled workers from Saint Louis-les Bitche, France. The group arrived in the United States in March of 1866. Dorflinger immediately began building worker houses for them, initially seven small, sloped roofed houses similar to the worker houses he knew in France. These houses were modified in 1875. In 2001, the fifth in line of the original seven, was restored to its 1875 appearance by the Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary.
The canal Lock Tender’s House, built in 1850 and located at the end of Lock Street, has a scale model diorama that shows how the lock system of the Delaware and Hudson Canal operated from the late 1820s to 1898. Photographs of the canal and canal artifacts are on display.
For more than five decades the 1911 White Mills Fire House housed the White Mills Fire Department and was used for many social gatherings and community meetings. The historic building was threatened by a highway improvement project and was scheduled for destruction. On Columbus Day 1999, the historic structure was raised from its foundation and relocated to a safe location, several hundred feet away. The building now has displays of photographs and artifacts that tell the story of White Mills and its residents.
The Dorflinger Factory Cutting Shop and Office building are privately owned and operated. They house two important collections of glass and many of the tools used in the glass making and cutting processes. This is the second year it has hosted this antique show. Proceeds from the show will benefit the Ritz Theatre, Dorflinger Glass Museum and the Hawley Public Library.
Volunteers from the Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary will be available at the antique show on Saturday to sign up new members for the Sanctuary. Anyone who joins the Sanctuary that day will receive free admission to the glass museum and worker’s house.
Page 2 of 2 - The village of White Mills lies on Route 6, half way between the towns of Honesdale and Hawley.