This column contains news briefs of local students attending college or university. Families are welcome to send pictures and news of their students to email@example.com.
• Ashley Gorski from Milford is attending Centenary College in Hackettstown, NJ. She plans to study Criminal Justice.
• SUNY Oswego has awarded an $18,800 Presidential Scholarship to Kayleen A. Cosgrove of Paupack. The award recognizes past academic achievement and potential for success.
Cosgrove, from Wallenpaupack High School, has reserved a place in the freshman class for the fall semester. She is scheduled to begin classes Aug. 26.
• Wilkes University awarded Robert Ruiz of Milford, with a Master of Business Administration at the summer commencement ceremony on Sept. 8th. Ruiz is one of the first students from the University’s Pocono Education Center to receive his MBA.
Ruiz works as a Program Director for Salisbury Behavioral Health in Stroudsburg, PA. Although employed in the social work field, Ruiz has said that he believes that pursuing the MBA was a good choice because it helped him to acquire the organizational management and leadership skills that his career path requires. He cited the convenience of the Pocono Center to his workplace as a reason for choosing Wilkes University.
Ruiz’s thesis discussed electronic medical records. A member of Delta Mu Delta, the international business honor society, he has said that the MBA program at Wilkes’s Pocono Center broadened his view of the business world and called it a “fantastic experience.”
• The following Wallenpaupack Area High School graduates have enrolled at Alvernia University, beginning this fall semester:
graduate of Wallenpaupack Area High School, Madeline Drake, of Tafton,is a Communication major at Alvernia.
• A graduate of Wallenpaupack Area High School, Karissa Celona, of Lords Valley, is a Psychology major at Alvernia.
• Robert Morley of Milford was among 1,450 new students welcomed to Western Connecticut State University for the 2013-2014 academic year.
• Milford in Pike County, PA, has received a Surgical Technologist diploma. Ms. Mckean attended Dover Business College, now Berkeley College, in Dover, NJ.
• Alexandra Grudeski of Gouldsboro, Pa., is one of 45 undergraduate students serving the Wilkes University community as a member of the student government. Student Government is the major decision- and policy-making organization for the student body at Wilkes University, providing student input on University policy and governing extracurricular life at Wilkes.
Grudeski is a freshman pre-pharmacy major and the freshman class vice president. Grudeski serves on the Fall Fest, Winter Weekend and adventure education committees.Grudeski is the daughter of Jennifer and Richard Grudeski. In addition, Grudeski is involved with the alumni homecoming team, adventure education, the pre-pharmacy and swim clubs and the cheerleading squad as well as working as an information desk attendant in the Henry Student Center.