Taxes are to remain stable during 2014, Paupack Township Supervisors report. The proposed budget was accepted for advertising at the November 14th meeting, with intentions to adopt it next month. The total budget comes to $1,018,801.00.
The current township millage rate, .0008635, is to stay the same. Real estate taxes are expected to generate $567,500 in income. Real estate transfer taxes are budget to bring in $210,000. The fire tax is budgeted at $135,708 and the ambulance tax at $53,859.
Among other items addressed at the meeting:
• Approval was given for the Township's annual $10,000 donation to the Lake Wallenpaupack Watershed Management District. This is for 2013.
• The Danolovitz subdivision, comprised of 17.86 acres off Daniels Road, is being sold to Lakeview Hunting Club. Approval was made to specify in the deed that the non-building waiver is not in perpetuity. The waiver is for five years.
• Solicitor Ronald Bugaj is investigating entering a franchise agreement between Paupack Township and Blue Ridge Cable TV. Allowed by law, the Township would collect one and a half percent of the revenue from the cable company.
Supervisor Tom Oakley said that he would first want to know if the franchise payment would result in an increase in fees paid by Township cable TV subscribers.
Bugaj offered to prepare a draft ordinance. a public hearing would be required before its adoption. Supervisors were unclear whether the cable company was already collecting the money.
• The zoning ordinance will need to be amended to include billboards under the C-1 (General Commercial) district rather than the R-R (Rural Residential) district. Zoning Officer Rolin Edwards believes billboards are classified as a "permitted use", said Supervisor Leigh Gilbert. Bugaj asked that Edwards or consultant James Martin submit the opinion in writing.
• Lakeville Fire Department responded to 13 calls in October. There were four motor vehicle accidents, two alarms, five fires and two public service calls. There were 54 ambulance dispatches.
• Chairman Bruce Chandler noted that only 285 registered voters turned out at the polls on November 5, out of approximately 3,000 registered. He added that there were no contested ballot races this time.
• Building permits for October 2013 totaled 18, the most in five years for that month, said Supervisor Gilbert. Permits were issued on October 2013 for one house, three decks, four sheds, four garages, three additions, one car port and one pole building. The total estimated value was $531,650.
He noted that among these past five years, October 2010 had the greatest estimated construction value, at $922,550. The lowest estimated value was in 2011, at $102,913. There were no permits for houses in October 2011; in each of the remaining years there were three house permits issued.
Paupack Township Supervisors meet on the second Thursday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the Township building, 25 Daniels Road, Lakeville. The office may be contacted at 570-226-3115. Visit online at www.paupacktownship.org.
Page 2 of 2 - EDITOR'S NOTE: This is a corrected version. The original story had an incorrect tax rate for Paupack Township.