Several of the Hawley area churches are scheduling tours to explain their history and work, or hosting other special events during the 2013 Hawley Winterfest.
• Cole Memorial Baptist Church, 711 Church St., Hawley, is hosting an open house from 12 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 7. The Baptists established the first church in Hawley, in 1834. Hear about their long history and mission to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Information: 570-226-4312.
• First Presbyterian Church, 815 Church St., Hawley, hosts their 12th annual Cookie Walk. Over 5,000 gourmet cookies and candies will be for sale; browse between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. A Victorian luncheon is being served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.; the cost is $9 adults, $6 children 12 and under. Holiday crafts will be available. Information: 570-226-4835.
• Hawley United Methodist Church, 315 Church St., Hawley, will host "Road to Bethlehem" Saturday, Dec. 7, from 5 to 7:15 p.m. Watch the Christmas story come alive during a tour of seven outdoor scenes of the Nativity. Cookies and cocoa follow in the Great Hall, along with crafts for children. There is no charge. For information call 570-226-3875.
• New Covenant Fellowship: Established in 1983, New Covenant Fellowship Church on Columbus Avenue is hosting an open house, Saturday, Dec. 7 from 2 to 4 p.m. Information about the church history and call to preach the Gospel both at home and through global missions will be provided. Refreshments will be available. Information: 570-226-2507.
• Queen of Peace Roman Catholic Church will sponsor a concert by The Virgin Consort, Friday, Dec. 6 at 8 p.m. An elegant blend of traditional and Victorian carols, Medieval and Renaissance sacred works will be performed by an ensemble of eight singers. Advance tickets, $15 regular and $10 senior citizens, are for sale at The Settlers Inn and Hawley Public Library.
The church is located at 314 Chestnut Ave., Hawley, near the top of Church Street.
On Sunday, Dec. 8 between 1 and 2 p.m., Queen of Peace will be open to view historic photos. At 1:30 p.m. there will be a talk on the church history, which dates to 1852. For information call 570-226-3183.
For the rest of the 2013 Winterfest schedule, pick up a brochure or visit online at www.HawleyWinterfst.com. More details also will be published in the mid-week edition of The News Eagle.