|
|
News Eagle - Hawley, PA
  • Candle suspected in home fire

  • The second floor of a home outside of White Mills was destroyed Thursday morning. The fire was suspected to have started from a candle in a bedroom, said Hawley Fire Chief, Scott Mead.
    • email print
  •     The second floor of a home outside of White Mills was destroyed Thursday morning. The fire was suspected to have started from a candle in a bedroom, said Hawley Fire Chief, Scott Mead.
        White Mills was assisted by Hawley and Lakeville fire companies as they fought a fire on Butternut Road.
         White Mills Fire Chief Mike Batzel said that the house is a part-time residence of Carl J. Milks, M.D. and his family. A caretaker reported the fire.
        Mead said when the Hawley Company arrived, smoke was coming out of the windows and second floor. The firefighters were able to get the fire controlled, but extinguishing it was a challenge, he said, because of the structure of the home. The, “tongue and groove clings,” made it difficult for the firemen to get into the ceiling he explained. The companies started working on the fire around 9:30 a.m.
        Because the fire was in a common cockloft, Mead said the fire didn't burn through the roof by itself. The companies had to cut holes in the roof, in order for the firemen to see because the smoke was so intense.  
        No one was injured, but a cat was rescued. A dog was already outside when the firefighters arrived.
    (The Wayne Independent contributed to this report.)
      • calendar