REGION- Fireworks abound in the region for the 4th of July, with a few parades as well. Here are the ones that have been brought to the attention of The News Eagle.
• Thursday, July 3 at dusk, in Honesdale. Wayne County Creative Arts Council hosts a series of concerts in Central Park starting at 5 p.m., leading up to the fireworks. Food, children's games and vendors will be available. Rain date: July 6.
• Friday, July 4 at dusk, Lake Wallenpaupack (fired from the high school parking area). Rain date: July 5. Hosted by Pocono Lake Region Chamber of Commerce.
• Friday, July 4 at dusk, Narrowsburg, NY. Fireworks launch from the mountain ridge above town.
• Friday, July 4 at dusk, at Skytop Lodge. This is part of a carnival- themed day featuring lawn games, cotton candy and picnics.
• Saturday, July 5 at dusk, Shawnee Mountain Ski Area. Benefits the Shawnee Volunteer Fire Company. Bring your own chair or blankets for great slope-side seating. There will be an outdoor DJ, Uncle Sam Stilt Walker, Mark Clark's All American Magic Show and various food and craft vendors.
• Saturday, July 5 at dusk, North Pocono football stadium, behind the North Pocono Middle School in Moscow. Rain date: July 6. The Minisink Lions hosts fireworks, food and music by The Poets. Gates open at 6 p.m.
PARADES (& etc.)
• July 4, 12 noon, Hawley. Lineup is at 11 a.m. on Church and Spring Streets. The parade heads down Main Avenue, ending at Bingham Park. The Hawley Carnival follows in the park, 1 to 5 p.m.
• July 4, at 10 a.m. in Pleasant Mount. Lineup is on North Road; the parade concludes at Meredith Park in the village center.
Costello-Monahan-Brown American Legion Post 964 will offer a tribute to our veterans at 11 a.m., in the park. Pleasant Mount United Church will also be holding their traditional chicken BBQ at the Pleasant Mount Emergency Services hall. In addition, the Pleasant Mount Public Library will be hosting a silent auction, book sale, and they will be drawing the raffle winner for their handmade heirloom quilt. Pleasant Quilter’s will be hosting a homemade bake sale. There will be traditional 4th of July games, plenty of food and leave room for a tasty old-fashioned root beer float.
• July 4, at 3 p.m. in Narrowsburg, NY. Lineup at 2 p.. at St. Francis church parking lot on Bridge Street. Chicken barbecue at Narrowsburg Fire Department, 4:30- 6 p.m. This is a pre-sale, take-out dinner; tickets are $10. Fireworks at dusk.
• July 4, at 2 p.m., Thornhurst. Eighth Annual Redneck 4th of July Parade will begin at the corner of Pine Grove and Bear Lake Roads, and will continue on River Road back to Pine Grove Road.