PALMYRA TWP. (Wayne) - The Wayne County Historical Society's 5th Annual Canal Festival will be held Saturday, August 19th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Delaware & Hudson Canal Park at Lock 31, Rt. 6, one mile west of The Settlers Inn, Hawley. 
This event is free to the public and will be held rain or shine.

Included in the day's schedule are many demonstrations including blacksmithing by Gravity Line Forge, Lake Ariel; various textile arts by The Mountain Quiltworks, Beach Lake; rug weaving by Sue Wahl; wood carving by the Cherry Ridge Carving Club and Tom Hollister; early trapping techniques by Ed Burgholzer; fly fishing lure tying by William Daskel; long rifle firing by 143rd NY Vol. Infantry; and field techniques by members of Society of Pennsylvania Archaeology.

New this year are bike rides on the towpath, and a doll restorer, by by Armonk Doll Hospital.

Food, including home baked goods and local maple syrup will be available for purchase, along with local history relates items and used books in the Canal Store. Six authors will also be signing and selling their books.

The Wayne County Historical Society would like to thank the following sponsors for making this year’s festival possible: David Katz Foundation; Grimm Construction; AM Skier Insurance; Woodloch; Honesdale National Bank; Wayne, Pike, Sullivan Antique Dealers Association; Spencer Printing; Dirlam Brothers Lumber; Billie Ann Garbe; Doris Rogers; John and Peggy Block.

The Canal Festival helps to recognize the region’s heritage in the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company, which moved anthracite coal to market from 1828 to 1898.

Remnants of Lock #31 are visible as well as a mile-length of canal towpath. The circa 1825 Daniels Farmhouse, which sits between Route and the lock, once served as an inn and canal store catering to canal boat crews and families.

Schedule of the day’s events and park map, can be found at www.WayneHistoryPA.org along with more information about the Wayne County Historical Society. The main museum, at 810 Main St., Honesdale, is open Wednesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 4 p.m. Call 570-253-3240 for more information.

The Wayne County Historical Society, founded in 1917, is celebrating its 100th anniversary.